Sunday, January 4, 2009

Am I really blogging?

Not sure why I decided to do this, maybe just as a journal or changelog to help me keep track, but here I am.

My name is Bushman, and soon I will no longer be a WHS virgin.

I am an IT professional of 15 years in Massachusetts, primarily a network administrator, but a part time programmer as well.  I love my job, and take pride in the things I do.  I run a large network of 350 or so windows based machines at work, and quite a few at home as well.

As every IT professional knows, when you are a "computer guy" at work, you also become many people's defacto "computer guy" in the off hours.  It's a pain, but I've gotten used to it.  One of the distinct side benefits is that people tend to give you their old computer stuff... just about everything that I have running at home is someone else's hand-me-down.  It all works, and works fairly well, and I have augmented it as much I could on the cheap to serve my needs at home.

But I bought a Kill-A-Watt meter and hooked it up to the stack and saw that I was pulling 380 watts average, and decided that I had to do something to save some money on electricity.  Some research on the web brought me to such sites as homeserverhacks.com and mswhs.com, and I decided that I would try the WHS route.

The next post will detail what I have in the basement stack now, and what I intend to replace it with.  All the parts should arrive within the next couple of days, and I'll detail the build and install experience as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment